Eat to Live vegetarian vegan mix in Plastic free packaging This packaging is 100% biodegradable and 100% compostable. Its manufactured from Corn starch! Looks like plastic but isn’t. Eat to Live vegetarian vegan mix in Plastic free packaging is something we are very proud to offer.
How long does the packaging take to compost?
The essential difference between biodegradable and compostable is the amount of time it takes for a product to break down into its natural components via biological processes. Most existing international standards require biodegradation of 60% within 180 days.
Degradable, Biodegradable & Compostable
- Degradable: The ability to break up into smaller pieces. Degradable packaging products will not break down into their natural organic components, just smaller pieces of the original product.
- Biodegradable: The prefix “bio” refers to the way in which a product will degrade, in this case, via a biological process, bacteria, fungi etc. The product will biodegrade into carbon dioxide, water and biomass from the action of naturally occurring microorganisms. Green waste is biodegradable.
- Compostable: A product biodegrades within a time frame of 4 to 6 months. Green waste is compostable.
According to the American Society for Testing & Materials (ASTM), a plant plastic needs to meet three criteria in order to be classified compostable:
- Biodegrade: Break down into carbon dioxide, water and biomass at the same rate as cellulose (paper).
- Disintegrate: The material is indistinguishable in the compost.
- Eco-toxicity: The biodegradation does not
To speed up decomposing shred the packet before composting.
Should you still want the doy pouch you can order it here. Please consider re using the packet and recycling once you are finished with it.